Admissions FAQ

Do I have to pay an application fee?

No. HSE does not charge an application fee. You can apply online and take entrance exams online (for Bachelor's degree) or submit your portfolio (for Master's). The whole process from application to admission is entirely online and free of charge (Including receiving of the acceptance letter and visa invitation letter). Should someone tell you that you have to pay a fee, contact us at

Until what time will you accept applications on the deadline date?

Applications are accepted on the deadline dates until 23:59 MSK (GMT+3).

Can I apply to multiple graduate programmes at once?

You can apply to up to two undergraduate and graduate programmes in the same application.

What types of financial aid are available to international students?

Since 2017, HSE has been offering a variety of tuition fee scholarships to its international applicants. The scholarships are divided into full coverage and partial coverage scholarships for undergraduate and graduate programmes. 

Do you require English proficiency test scores?

Yes! We require English proficiency test scores for graduate programmes. Unless you are a native English speaker or have previously graduated from an institution which primary language of instruction is English, you are required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or CAE results (from no more than two years prior to the the application submission).

If I do not currently have a valid passport, can I still apply?

Yes, you can still apply even if you do not have a valid passport. However, if your application is successful, you will have to have a valid passport in order to enrol at HSE.

Can I start an application online and save it for later?

Absolutely. Online applications may be saved for later.

I’m worried my recommender will have trouble submitting the letter of recommendation. Can I forward you an email from my recommender?

We can accept a pdf or jpeg version of a recommendation letter, if it includes the required elements listed in our guidelines.  Otherwise, we must receive the letter directly from your recommender.

I’ve finished my exams but have one more paper to submit before I complete my Bachelor’s degree. Can I apply to a graduate programme before completing my undergraduate studies?

If you have not yet received your Bachelor’s diploma at the time of submission, you can send an official academic transcript (with grades) that reflects the entire period that you have studied at that institution. You will still be required to submit your Bachelor’s diploma once you receive it; failure to do so will prevent you from entering the programme.

How can I receive a scholarship to study at a graduate programme at HSE (tuition-free)?

International students can apply to study in graduate programmes at HSE for free through merit-based full-tuition scholarships.  Applicants can apply for these scholarships once they are admitted to a HSE programme.  For more information on the process and requirements, visit our Scholarships page.

Do you accept late applications?


If I submit a late application, can I still be considered for scholarships?

Applications submitted after the scholarship deadline will not be considered for full-tuition scholarships. They will be considered for merit-based scholarships only.

Do I need to be interviewed before being admitted to a programme?

Most programmes require an interview as part of the application process. Manager of the programme that you are applying to may contact you about setting up an online interview.

When can I expect an admissions decision?

You can typically expect a response within two to three weeks. Please check your online personal account. Each application is individually reviewed by the programme admissions committee, so response times may vary. If you have not received an update within a month, please contact

When will I hear if I have received funding?

Scholarship decisions are made by university committees and the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation. The International Admissions office has little control over this timeline, but we will keep students regularly updated.

Can I change programmes after being admitted?

Requests to change programmes are considered on a case-by-case basis. Please contact the International Admissions Office to learn more. 

Can I defer admission?

Unfortunately, we are unable to grant deferrals. 

My friends are also interested in attending HSE. Can I send you their documents?

Thank you for recommending HSE to your friends!  We must receive application materials directly from each individual applicant.  Feel free to send us your friend’s contact information or vice versa.  However, we cannot accept application materials submitted by a third party.

Can I bring my family with me?

Unfortunately, HSE does not provide visa support for family members.  If you require a visa to study in Russia, you will need to make separate arrangements for your family members.

I already have a Russian visa. Do I need to apply for another visa to study at HSE?

Yes, you will need to apply for a student visa, which will reflect your affiliation with HSE and allow you to live in Russia full-time for the length of your study. (Individuals holding diplomatic, ordinary work, and highly qualified specialist (HQS) visas can study at HSE without a student visa.)

Is Russia safe?

Moscow is a large city with the same safety concerns as most large cities of the world. Learn more about what to expect while living in Moscow as an international student. There are cases of petty crime targeting tourists, so we recommend students be aware of their surroundings and pay close attention to belongings.  For more information on safety, we recommend you review any advisories provided by your country’s embassy in Russia. Read more here. You may want to check also benefits of studying in Russia. 

Do I need to buy a medical insurance?

Yes, you need to purchase a voluntary health insurance policy (VHI) valid in Russia before your arrival. The voluntary health insurance policy should include medical examination, which is to be done after the arrival to Russia. After the medical examination, a student will be provided with the certificate that should be handed to the university.

You must have a valid VHI policy during the entire period of study. Please see more details about VHI policies available to international students.

When does the semester start? When are vacations and holidays?

The Academic Calendar lists all important dates.

Can I transfer to HSE from a different institution?

Yes! You can find all the information regarding transfer admission at and the official online requst might be found here.

How do I find out if my documents have been accepted?

You can  check the status of your documents in your online account. You may also email us at to check if your documents have been processed or not.

Do you recognize foreign transcripts and diplomas?

In most cases, international applicants have to fill in an application in order for their documents to be officially recognized. The process doesn’t take long. If you have any other questions regarding your documents’ processing, don’t hesitate to email us at

Do I have to fill in the Recognition section in my online account? Which documents are needed?

Please note that you may find answers to the most common questions about the recognition process, translations and the recognition section in your personal online account in this document.

Can I choose my housing?

If you received 100% grant and confirmed your wish to study in your online account then housing is assigned to you automatically. You cannot choose or change it.

Accommodation for the fee-paying students and students with partial grants is different; details are available on the My HSE House website.

Do you have a mobile app?

No. However, our website and the online application are optimized for mobile devices. Moreover, you can contact us via WhatsApp at: +7 (916) 311 8521.

I am currently a fee-paying student. Can I transfer to a state-funded place?

Absolutely! The transfer is possible if:

  • A state-funded place is available;
  • The transfer occurs within the same academic programme;
  • The transfer occurs the same semester a state-funded student has been expelled.

Please note that fee-paying citizens of Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kirgizstan, Tadzhikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, and Ukraine cannot transfer to state-funded places.

In order to transfer, the following documents need to be prepared:

  • A written transfer application signed by the programme director;
  • A copy and, if needed, translation of the student’s passport;
  • A note from the programme director indicating his or her consent to the transfer and addressed to Vice Rector Ivan V. Prostakov;
  • A copy of an order indicating that a state-funded student had been expelled;
  • A copy of referral from the Ministry of Education and Science.

All the documents, as well as any additional questions, must be emailed to Valeria Kupina at

Can I study completely online and get a diploma? Are there any HSE online programmes?

It is possible to study online. All online programmes are full-time courses. After completing the programme, you will get a diploma from HSE University, the same diploma as for the HSE offline programmes. The full list of programmes is here. HSE does not provide visa support and housing for students from online programmes, as the studying process is organized completely online. Full tuition scholarships are not available for online programmes. Information about partial scholarships is available on the programmes' websites.

Have more questions?

If you cannot find the answer to your question on our website, please contact the Education & Training Advisory Centre at:,  via phone: +7 495 531 0059 or via WhatsApp at: +7 (916) 311 8521.