International students can apply to study at HSE for free through full-tuition scholarships. This merit-based scholarship will completely waive all tuition fees for selected full-degree Master's programmes at HSE.
Applicants should apply to the programmes they wish to enter starting from November 1, 2020. The deadline for submission of all supporting documents is August 10, 2021. Please, note that applicants should upload their portfolio to the personal online account before August 10, 2021. If the application is considered to be outstanding by the application committee, the applicant will be recommended for a scholarship. Winners of various student competitions may also receive full-tuition scholarships.
Please note that scholarships cover only the cost of tuition and that all other costs (including accommodation at HSE dormitories) must be covered by the student. Information about the estimated cost of living can be found here.
HSE also offers a wide range of tuition fee scholarships to international applicants who are not eligible for Russian government scholarships.
Full-tuition scholarships are available for the following Master's programmes:
- Applied Linguistics and Text Analytics (Nizhny Novgorod)
- Applied Social Psychology
- Business Analytics and Big Data Systems New
- Business and Politics in Modern Asia (St. Petersburg)
- Cognitive Sciences and Technologies: From Neuron to Cognition
- Comparative Politics of Eurasia (St. Petersburg)
- Comparative Social Research
- Critical Media Studies
- Data Science
- Economics and Economic Policy New
- Finance (St. Petersburg)
- Financial Economics
- International Business (St. Petersburg)
- International Management
- Governance of Science, Technology, and Innovation
- Global and Regional History (St. Petersburg)
- Law of International Trade, Finance and Economic Integration
- Linguistic Theory and Language Description
- Management and Analytics for Business (St. Petersburg)
- Math of Machine Learning New
- Mathematics (Nizhny Novgorod)
- Political Analysis and Public Policy
- Politics. Economics. Philosophy
- Population and Development
- Science of Learning and Assessment New
- Socioeconomic and Political Development of Modern Asia
- Strategic Corporate Finance
- System and Software Engineering
Scholarships for Master's Programmes
|Applicants eligible||Criteria||Size of scholarship|
|Based on the results of entrance examinations (portfolio competition)
||Final cumulative score for portfolio - 60 points or higher||50%|
|Final cumulative score for portfolio - between 50 and 59 points||25%|
|Graduates of the HSE Preparatory Year programme (tuition-based)||Upon the submission of a document confirming successful completion of studies under a continuing educational programme (with no unsatisfactory grades)||50%|
|Graduates of Preparatory Programmes of other Russian educational institutions||Upon the submission of a document confirming successful completion of studies under a continuing educational programme||50%|
|Graduates of the Summer University programme||Certificate of participation in the Summer University programme and an academic transcript confirming studies at HSE (at least two courses completed with no failed assignments)||25%|
|Graduates of HSE undergraduate/specialist programmes||HSE diploma||25%|
|For early conclusion and payment of the contract*||Conclusion and payment of the contract within 30 days from the date of positive decision published in the Foreign Applicant Personal Account, but no later than June 1, 2021||5%|
|Participation in "Open Doors" olympiad||
First-place winners in a subject-specific olympiad Open Doors
|Other prize winners at a subject-specific olympiad Open Doors||50%|
Scholarships do not apply to master's degree programmes that do not have budget places.
The size of the scholarship offered to international students shall be fixed and granted to foreign nationals for the entire duration of their studies. However, each year it will be necessary to confirm this with good academic performance.
This means that a recipient should meet the following requirements:
- not be subject to disciplinary action in the form of reprimand;
- upon completion of each and any interim assessment (before retakes), he/she should have no more than two grades lower than 6 (on a 10-point grading scale);
- not miss any assessments for no valid reason.
Please note that a foreign national may be granted only one scholarship at a time. Should a foreign national be eligible for more than one scholarship from the table, he/she may select only one scholarship at his/her own discretion.
University students and recent graduates are invited to take part in HSE International Olympiad Competitions. Winners and runners-up may receive full-tuition scholarships or tuition fee waivers.
The competition is organised by Global Universities Association. Participation is open to non-Russian citizens who wish to apply for Master's programmes. Winners and runners-up may receive full tuition scholarships.