• A
  • A
  • A
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
Regular version of the site

Applying to Undergraduate Programmes at HSE

Step 5: Arrival and Enrolment

Before Arrival Instructions

Before you arrive in Moscow or any other HSE campus, please make sure to: 

1. Prepare all documents listed in STEP 4 and upload them to the Offer of Admission section in your personal account.

2. Legalize your academic credentials (degree/high school certificates/diplomas)

The specific legalization procedure will depend on the country where your diploma was issued. Please refer to this page for a full list of countries and relevant legalization requirements. Each country may have its own legalization terms and conditions. 

3. Make your academic credentials (degree/high school certificates/diplomas) recognized in Russia

Once you have received the original of your degree/high school certificate and obtained its notarized translation into Russian (if applicable), please submit an application for the recognition of your academic credentials via your personal account on the HSE website. If you have any questions regarding recognition, please contact us at recognition@hse.ru.

Information on recognition of foreign academic credentials by HSE 

IMPORTANT! Recognition procedure is mandatory for all foreign citizens applying to HSEand is offered free of charge. If you have a Russian high school/degree certificate issued by a Russian academic institution, you are still required to submit an application for recognition of academic credentials.  

4. Apply for a Russian visa

If you have been admitted as a state-funded student (tuition waiver), your visa reference will be issued by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation (MES), once HSE staff uploads all documents listed in STEP 4 to the MES information system. The list of visa reference numbers will be published in your personal account in the Visa section. Normally visa references should be available in early August. 

If you have been admitted to HSE as a fee-paying student, please submit an application to obtain a visa invitation via your personal account (Visa section). More details are available in your personal account. 

Please note that citizens of the following counties DO NOT NEED a student visa to study at Russian educational institutions: Azerbaijan, Abkhazia, South Ossetia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Tajikistan, Ukraine, Armenia, and Uzbekistan. 

If you are a citizen of Belarus, Armenia, Kyrgyzstan or Ukraine, you may use your national (internal) passport when crossing the Russian border. If you are a citizen of any other country, you must obtain a travel passport to enter Russia.  

Russian nationals arriving in Russia must also show an ID (Russian travel passport for Russian citizens residing abroad). To enrolin HSE, you must also have your national (internal) passport readily available, even if you are residing abroad. Please make sure to make your plans in advance, since it may take up to 2 months to issue a national passport in Russia (if you don’t have a permanent registration and only have a temporary one). 

5. Enrolment procedures for foreign applicants

To officially enrol in HSE and secure a place at an HSE dormitory, please visit us at the following address starting from August 20, 2019:

Room 330, 3rdfloor, 11 Myasnitskaya Ulitsa.

Make sure you have the following documents with you:

- your passport + its copy + notarized translation of your passport into Russian (if applicable);

- original high school/degree certificate/diploma + its copy + a notarized translation of your high school/degree certificate/diploma into Russian (if applicable);

- migration card issued upon entry to Russia (at the airport or another border checkpoint) or a copy of your Russian visa;

IMPORTANT! In the migration card, please make sure to underline Education(«учеба») as your purpose of visit.

- 4 photographs (on matt or glossy paper), size: 3х4cm;

- original of your medical certificate (must be dated no later than March 2019), and negative HIV test results. Please note that a medical certificate is valid for 6 months, and an HIV certificate is valid for 3 months.

- your voluntary health insurance policy (if available). You can purchase an insurance policy fromany insurance company of your choice or obtain one at our office. For your convenience from August 20 to August 31, representatives of 3 Russian insurance companies will be working on 11 Myasnitskaya Ulitsa.

Enrolment procedure includes the following steps

1. Submitting documents for enrolment to HSE.  

 2. Preparing documents to obtain a migration registration. 

Please note that foreign students must register at their actual residence address:

- if you are staying at an HSE dormitory, please contact the dormitory staff to get registered via a local migration office;

- if you are staying at a rented apartment, please contact your landlord/landlady to get registered via a local migration office.

Please visit our office to for more details regarding the registration of students who are staying at rented apartments.

IMPORTANT! Citizens of the following countries may stay in the Russian Federation without registration for a fixed period of time only:

·       citizens of Ukraine – 90 days;

·       citizens of Belarus, Kazakhstan and Armenia  – 30 days;

·       citizens of Tajikistan – 15 days.

3. Dormitory check-in. 

Dormitory places will be allocated via applicants’ personal accounts. You will get access to the Dormitory section in your personal account, once you’ve completed the Enrolment Consent and Recognition of Foreign Education and (or) Qualifications sections but no earlier than August 10. Therefore, by the time you visit us to submit your documents starting from August 20, a place at the dormitory will have already been assigned to you.