HSE’s Preparatory Year trains international students with little or no knowledge of Russian before they begin Russian-taught full-degree programs. Up to 15 months of intensive study, let students improve their basic language skills (reading, listening, speaking, and writing), study in a chosen academic field (humanities, economics, or engineering), and adapt to the new educational environment. Upon completing Preparatory Year, students are expected to possess intermediate-level language skills (CEFR level B1, TRKI level 1) and be ready to enter the Russian-taught full-degree programs at HSE and other Russian universities.
After completing HSE's Preparatory Year, students take exams in Russian and study area subjects. Those who pass their exams successfully will receive a HSE Preparatory Year certificate of completion. Moreover, graduates of the Preparatory Year are eligible for a 25% scholarship on further tuition-paid programmes.
Applying for the Preparatory Year Course
1. Choose the Course (1 or 2 semesters)
2. Initial application - Apply Online. (You wil be required to upload scans of your passport, photograph and diploma/degree.)
Applications are processed on a rolling basis and can be submitted at any time. Regular application deadlines:
Basic course the deadline is June 30.
6 months course the deadline is October 31.
3. Undergo Competitive Selection - Within two weeks of receiving your application, we will send an acknowledgment of receipt.
4. Get an Invitation and apply for a Student Visa (complete Visa_info questionnary . Please note: Visa invitations can be requested only 90 days prior to the beginning of the programme)
5. Welcome to HSE! Find enrollment documents here.
Cost of Attendance
Cost of Attendance for HSE's Preparatory Year (October 2019 - July 2020) is 174 000 RUB.
Cost of Attendance for HSE's 6-month (February - July 2019) 86 400 RUB.
Costs are listed in Russian rubles and reflect the 2019-20 academic year. The fees are payable in Russian rubles. To convert programme fees to your own currency, please use a currency converter.
For more information please visit the Preparatory Year webpage.
If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.