HSE’s Preparatory Year trains international students with little or no knowledge of Russian before they begin Russian-taught full-degree programs. Up to 15 months of intensive study, let students improve their basic language skills (reading, listening, speaking, and writing), study in a chosen academic field (humanities, economics, or engineering), and adapt to the new educational environment. Upon completing Preparatory Year, students are expected to possess intermediate-level language skills (CEFR level B1, TRKI level 1) and be ready to enter the Russian-taught full-degree programs at HSE and other Russian universities.
After completing HSE's Preparatory Year, students take exams in Russian and study area subjects. Those who pass their exams successfully will receive a HSE Preparatory Year certificate of completion. Moreover, graduates of the Preparatory Year are eligible for a 25% scholarship on further tuition-paid programmes.
Applying for the Preparatory Year Course
1. Choose the Course (1, 2 or 3 semesters)
2. Initial application - Apply Online, attach your letter of motivation (optional) and diploma/certificate of education.
Applications are processed on a rolling basis and can be submitted at any time. Regular application deadline for the upcoming academic year is November 15.
3. Undergo Competitive Selection - Within two weeks of receiving your application, we will send an acknowledgment of receipt.
4. Get an Invitation and apply for a Student Visa (complete Visa_info questionnary and attach your valid international ID scan.
5. Welcome to HSE! Find enrollment documents here.
Cost of Attendance
Cost of Attendance for HSE's Preparatory Year (October 2018-July 2019) is 174 000 RUB.
Cost of Attendance for HSE's 6-month (February - July 2019) 86 400 RUB.
Cost of Attendance for 1,5 year Preparatory course (February 2019 - July 2020) 260 000 RUB.
Costs are listed in Russian rubles and reflect the 2018-19 academic year. The fees are payable in Russian rubles. To convert programme fees to your own currency, please use a currency converter.
For more information please visit the Preparatory Year webpage.
If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.